Saturday, April 18, 2015

P is for partner

I confess. This notion of partner has been written about before, but I like it and since it is my blog, I am coming back to it because I continue to find it interesting how so many of my favorite reads (and authors) all opt to develop a partner to go with their main character.

The first ting I wonder is if MCs that are women have partners that are women. I don't read much written by women, other than Janet Evanovich and her main character, Dunk. So my knowledge is limited on this partner thing amongst female main characters. My suspicion is that female leads get caught up in the plot lines of the male leads. I hope I am wrong, but given the interesting light shed by the Bechdel test on current media, I would not be surprised if this were the case. Do men writing about men do this to female characters? Do women writing about women do this to their characters? An interesting topic and one that will require more reading on my part.

Clive Cussler has given the world Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino, Kurt Austin and x? Zavala. Harlan Coben gives us Myron Bolitar and Win. Roger Crais gives us Elvis and Pike. James B. Parker gave us Spencer and Hawke. All are my faves. I would not pick one pair without the rest of them. The dialogue, interactions, and plotlines have been well worth reading in part due to the MCs having strong partners.

No comments:

Post a Comment