Wednesday, April 8, 2015

G is for Goal

I just read an article about one of my favorite authors, Harlan Coben. Hope I got this name right. A and E are hard to keep straight. An immensely successful author that keeps it simple in spite of his success. I would suggest the opposite - his simplicity in writing is what keeps him successful. His character, Myron Bolitar, is the only character I know, besides my group of Shoshone high school girls in the Lemhi Valley, that plays basketball as part of the setting in a book.

Goals are simple things, part of what I think every writer should use. Maybe Mr. Coben does too. An entry a day in the case of this 26 consecutive day challenge. The large size of writing a book is intimidating when viewed as a whole. The simple tool of setting a goal helps reduce that size and intimidation. One page today. One chapter this week. One thing at a time done over and over. Soon the habit starts and soon that big immense thing always murky and vague in the future is halfway done, because of the many small goals you set and achieved on the way to getting that novel of yours done. Try one. Set one. Complete one. And then do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment